On 8/23/2016 12:14 PM, Kay sch...@apache.org wrote:
2. Update Java requirement from Java 1.5 to *at least* Java 1.7

I am rather adamant that we change our building requirement to Java 1.7
for all platforms. I will be changing that in our Building Guide today.
Java 1.5 went out of support by Oracle in November, 2009. We use OpenJDK
but I'm sure updates for Java 1.5 through that channel are also no
longer available.
Even Java 1.7 has reached end of life by Oracle for public support as of
April, 2015. To avoid undue issues for some of our current users on
older platforms, I am "OK" with java 1.7. I am fairly confident ALL
users can obtain this for whatever platform they are using.

The more important, and more difficult, issue is 32-bit vs 64-bit Java.