On 26 Aug, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 24/08/2016 Don Lewis wrote:
>>    * Updated bundled serf to fix a CVE and a WebDAV issue.  The FreeBSD
>>      port has been using the system version of the latest and greatest.
>
> We've been discussing this separately. This will make the build system
> even more complex, but it does have advantages and brings to completion
> work started with 4.1.2.
>
>>    * Handle the Wiki Publisher and PDF Import extensions as integrated
>>      extensions:
>>      <https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Setup_-_Bundled_Extensions>
>>      I've done some work on this in the FreeBSD port, but I haven't
>>      tackled the installer part for other platforms.
>
> Can you elaborate on this? For example the fact that they shouldn't ping
> for updates looks problematic (not so bad, but it will require a
> reasonable release pace). And actually the document suggests that
> bundled dictionaries are handled as integrated extensions, which is not
> the case at the moment - and this allows users to get, for example, a
> fresh English dictionary when they wish.

The versions of these that are online are really old.  The version
of Wiki Publisher online only works with 3.x, and the PDF importer
is listed as only being compatible with 4.0.

Since these can get built as part of the OpenOffice build and seem to
be version specific, it seems like looking for updates could cause
problems.  If a user sees and installs an update, the extension gets
stored as part of that user's profile.  If the user is running an
older version of OpenOffice and installs an update intended for a newer
version of OpenOffice, that could cause the application to crash.
Similarly, if a user has a copy of the extension in his profile and
upgrades OpenOffice, that could also cause a crash.

I'm not sure why dictionaries should be handled as integrated.

One thing that I don't like about integrated extensions is that while
they show up in the extension manager, there is no way to disable them.