Don Lewis wrote:
I forgot to mention that the PDF Import extension is somewhat
problematic to distribute.  It relies on poppler, which has a GPLv2
license.

Yes, this was the reason for removing the extension from the OpenOffice installers back at the time. We do bundle GPL dictionaries though, thanks to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-117 which took a long discussion but gave good results. If one is determined to bundle PDF Import again, then I would first try to obtain an opinion from legal to understand how much code must be rewritten/adapted.

Regards,
  Andrea.