Hi Don;

On 24 Aug, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

On 08/24/16 10:34, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
Hello;

  * [low priority] Updated bundled CoinMP.  There has been an API
    change, which prevents the FreeBSD port from using the system
    version.  Difficulty unknown ...

This is important, I was unaware of it. Sadly, I don't think I will
have time for it before the release.

A quick look at this ... FreeBSD is using version 1.8.3 which appears
to be the latest.

AOO could use the same version by default, it's just a matter of getting
the new version to build on all platforms. I think.

Unfortunately it is not that easy.  When I was cleaning up the the
FreeBSD port a while back, I went through all of the --with-system knobs
and CoinMP was one that did not work and broke the build.  My memory is
fuzzy, but I think there was an incompatible API change.

Hmm ... I just looked and the openoffice-devel FreeBSD port is using
the system coinmp. Actually CoinMP is only a wrapper around the core
Coin libraries. I have always considered using the core libraries directly as that provides more powerful options but I haven't found
the time and motivation to work on it.

I did try updating the CoinMP patches and it was not easy/fun. The Mac
changes are likely to be troublesome.

There are some other bundled bits that have the same problem, but CoinMP
is big and takes a while to build, which is my main motivation in this
case.  ICU also falls into this category, but I already know that it is
too difficult.

Yes, that one is difficult and while Symphony has a most of what we may need, the problem is that it has to be tested "multilingually".

I did update most of the components you mention and even gave a talk about it ;).

It looks like the others are:
        ucpp

We are using the latest version.

        mdds

The developer behind it broke compatibility with the AOO code (on
purpose, for all I know). The code is actually calling for a replacement but since it works we are leaving it untouched.

        hsqldb

SUN had a branch with the required changes. I have some WIP patch for that but there are other issues, like the database format is incompatible. I have to spend more time on that but the change is
worth the rescue.

        libxmlsec

AOO uses a heavily modified version. Updating it requires a lot of effort, basically forking libxmlsec.

        stax

This is actually unused and can be thrown away, unless you are still
using something older than Java 5.

        rhino

Oh yes, we updated this once but it's category B so there's not a lot of motivation to work on it. Newer java has functionality that can replace it.

        xsltml

I don't remember well this one. I think it depended on something else and ultimately I was just happy about using the system version.

        saxon

The latest versions (saxon-he) lack the functionality AOO requires.
We need to use saxon-B, and there is indeed a newer version but the
packaging is different to what AOO carries. FreeBSD was using the system one but we stopped using it due to conflicts with the saxon
from another important package (Scilab),

        icc

I think Giuseppe Castagno said it wasn't worth the effort and since
he did the OOo related stuff I didn't look further. I like excuses to
be lazy :).

I do know that saxon is sort of funny case.

It is only used for very old MS-Office formats. It is probably not worth the effort anyways. LibreOffice replaced it with C code and the author actually offered to relicense it for us but I lost trace of him
afterwards.

Hope that helps,

Pedro.