First of all ... huge thanks to Kay for taking over as Release Engineer.

On 8/23/2016 12:14 PM, Kay sch...@apache.org wrote:
> 2. Update Java requirement from Java 1.5 to *at least* Java 1.7
>
> I am rather adamant that we change our building requirement to Java 1.7
> for all platforms. I will be changing that in our Building Guide today.
> Java 1.5 went out of support by Oracle in November, 2009. We use OpenJDK
> but I'm sure updates for Java 1.5 through that channel are also no
> longer available.
> Even Java 1.7 has reached end of life by Oracle for public support as of
> April, 2015. To avoid undue issues for some of our current users on
> older platforms, I am "OK" with java 1.7. I am fairly confident ALL
> users can obtain this for whatever platform they are using.

The more important, and more difficult, issue is 32-bit vs 64-bit Java.

FWIW, I suspect 32 vs 64 is a non-issue from a release point of view:

Can AOO be built with 64-bit Java? If it doesn't then I guess it's not an option but in any case AOO is expected to work on 32 bit systems so we will have to release with the 32-bit Java in addition to the 64-bit Java.

BTW, Will java 1.7 attempt to update itself to Java 1.8? (I haven't used java on Windows in a long time ...)

Pedro.