Pedro Giffuni wrote:
Our README states that currently supported platforms include: Windows,
MacOS X, Linux variants and OS/2. I would like to add FreeBSD to the
list. I have no idea if such status requires some formal procedure

I don't think there is a formal procedure. OS/2 and FreeBSD should have the same status in the README.

This would not imply the ASF doing binary releases

I see some risk of confusion here. I mean, there is surely a set of "privileged" platforms that are those for which we build and make available releases from our download page: Windows, MacOS X, and Linux variants. Then there is a set of "semi-privileged" platforms where we as a project do not build releases, but that are aligned, submit patches upstream and so on (and these would be OS/2 and FreeBSD).

I don't know which group should be considered "supported" and I don't think that reading policy or sending tons of links would help much here. For sure if OS/2 is supported then FreeBSD is too. But if a user expects that "supported" means "available in binary form from the official site for this platform" then neither is supported.

Personally, I don't have a strong opinion on this and I would be in favor of adding FreeBSD to the "supported" list with the understanding that this doesn't automatically imply that we will build a FreeBSD release and make it available from the official site (we don't do that for OS/2 either).

Regards,
  Andrea.