On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 11:24 AM Fernando Cassia <fcas...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> is not what the ribbon is about. It suffers from large buttons, small
> buttons. Buttons labelled with words, buttons labeled with icons. Sometimes
> what appears to be a button is only a text label; clicking it does
> nothing." *
>
> Microsoft Office Ribbon sucks – Julie Larson-Green should design prison
> complexes instead of software UI
> https://moralvolcano.wordpress.com/2015/07/26/microsoft-office-ribbon-sucks-julie-larson-green-should-design-prison-complexes-instead-of-software-ui/
>
> The Ribbon Sucks
> http://blog.schauderhaft.de/2009/01/08/the-ribbon-sucks/
>
> https://forums.theregister.com/forum/all/2018/09/05/outlook_updates_microsoft_ribbon/
> *Microsoft's incoming updates to Outlook on Windows and web aim to strip
> away the cruft that has built up in the interface over the years. Outlook
> for Windows The veteran email client has seen its interface become
> gradually ever more cluttered, with the divisive ribbon inflicted on the
> toolbar just over 10 years ago"*
>

> The ribbon interface, however, does in fact suck. I’m used to it, I can use
> it, but it is fundamentally more annoying and slower to use than the old
> drop-down-menus-plus-toolbars interface for a number of reasons. One of
> them is that it only lets you do one kind of thing at a time, so you have
> to switch back and forth all the time. So for instance, say I want to mess
> with tables, or I’m in a spreadsheet and I want to do some sorting. But,
> I’m going to want to do some basic formatting with this stuff as well. With
> old interfaces or the Open/LibreOffice interface, I can use my table stuff
> or sorting stuff dropdown menu, or in the case of OpenOffice I’ve maybe got
> a little floating toolbar for it. But my normal stuff toolbar is still
> showing, so I can fiddle with it and then format it (set whether it’s
> showing as dollars or euros, how many decimal points, center a heading,
> whatever) and then fiddle with it some more. With the ribbon, every time I
> do a different thing I have to switch back and forth, because with the
> ribbon it’s basically like wiping out your toolbar and replacing it with a
> different one every time you do something different. Another problem is
> that for a lot of things to do with processing words, I actually prefer
> thinking in terms of words to thinking in terms of fairly arbitrary little
> pictures–go figure. So making it necessary to pick my actions from a large
> spread of icons, even with a mouse-over so that if I hover over each icon I
> will eventually probably figure out what I need, does not make me
> enthused–I’d rather have the option of a relatively short list of words in
> a dropdown menu, even if it means that menu might have to nest an extra
> level. The ribbon in lots of ways really is a step down in interface design"
> https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=11809
>
> So, please, "just because everyone else is doing it" is not a valid
Agreed. I never liked MacOS nor Windows GUIs -- despite all the paid
propaganda targeted at the sheep by the respective plutocrats lauding
their proprietary OSes; after IBM balked at the multiple petitions to
have OS/2 open sourced,
https://youtu.be/WYCFR-0N0b0

I went straight to Linux.
i.e., I like Apache OO interface/GUI the way it is.

--
Jose R R
http://metztli.it