On Sun, Jan 22, 2023 at 1:33 PM Matthias Seidel <matthias.sei...@hamburg.de>
wrote:

> >> just
> >> It would be great if there is a better way to do it. I just followed our
> >> Windows building guide all these years.
> >>
> >> But this is beyond my capabilities and one of the reasons why I cannot
> >> maintain our buildbots anymore.
> >>
> > This approach did eventually work. I eventually succeeded in creating an
> > "awk" script that calls "gawk" and setting PATH to its directory within
> > Cygwin, and ./configure now gets further.
> >
> > Now the next problem is that Cygwin doesn't have gcc and g++ (
> > https://ci2.apache.org/#/builders/67/builds/516/steps/9/logs/stdio):
> >
> > which: no gcc in
> >
> (/cygdrive/e/buildbot/openoffice-win10/utils:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/cygdrive/e/Python39/Scripts:/cygdrive/e/Python39:/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Oracle/Java/javapath:/cygdrive/c/Windows/system32:/cygdrive/c/Windows:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/OpenSSH:/cygdrive/c/Program
> > Files/Puppet Labs/Puppet/bin:/cygdrive/c/Program Files
> > (x86)/Subversion/bin:/cygdrive/c/Program
> > Files/Git/cmd:/cygdrive/e/buildbot/tools/Windows Kits/10/Windows
> > Performance
> > Toolkit:/cygdrive/c/Users/buildbot/AppData/Local/Microsoft/WindowsApps)
> > configure: error: cygwin gcc and g++ are needed, please install them.
> >
> > How can we install them?
>
> That's an Infra job. ;-)

Weeks ago, on the openoffice-win10 buildbot, many Cygwin dependencies
somehow got deleted, and days of battling Buildbot and working with Infra
on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-24114 were needed to install
them again.

The git crlf problem on Cygwin was another major issue that needed fixing.

Awk was another, my idea for an "awk" script that calls gawk didn't work, I
ended up copying /usr/bin/gawk.exe to awk.exe in a directory that is then
prepended to the PATH environment variable passed to "configure" and
"build", which worked in my own build and should work on the buildbot too.
Since this copies gawk on every build, this approach won't be broken by
future Cygwin upgrades like our previous renaming of gawk to awk by Infra
was.

I also changed haltOnFailure to False for the "build" step, so that the
logs are uploaded even when the build fails, like the Linux buildbots do.
Haven't checked whether that works yet.

It eventually got through configure and started building, but every time
that happened, the build was cancelled somehow.

Then Java 8 changed somehow (upgrade or whatever), and Java detection
broke. That has taken several more weeks to fix, and a command I was trying
to run to log Java's files wasn't working due to a missing bracket which I
eventually found and fixed.

A further Java problem is that oowintool fails to detect Java, as it's
looking for the 32 bit Java registry key, while we only have a 64 bit Java
installed. I had to dig through the buildbot script's history to find a
working 32 bit Java directory to specify (which oowintool can't detect
because it's just unzipped, not installed and added to the registry).

With those endless problems fixed, the build is now progressing nicely:
https://ci2.apache.org/#/builders/67/builds/625

Regards,

>    Matthias

Regards