Hi,
> these were the required jar files suggested by netbeans:  (i noticed
> you didnt mention  jut.jar in the comments of your code....)
>
> juh.jar
> jurt.jar
> jut.jar
> officebean.jar
> ridl.jar
> unoil.jar
One last remark: it is likely that your pacakge works because of
"officebean.jar".

But I would not want to be dependent on this jar-file as it mandates the
usage of OOo.

The solution should be genuine such that only the Java-UNO-interface is
necessary (mostly acquiring the OOo components, but since URE has been
existing, the solution should be standard), as is the case with the
genuine OOo installation from the OOo web site.

Or with other words: you should be able to execute the compiled Java
class from the commandline by issuing "java helloworld". If you can make
this work with the Ubuntu OOo installation, then I would be very
thankful, if you could share the environment setting of that command
line window.

Regards,

---rony