Rony G. Flatscher wrote:
See, I would like to learn what is needed for an "out-of-the-box" Ubuntu
OOo installation to be employed to run Java apps from the command line.
(Here SDK/NetBeans/Eclipse setups can come into ones way as it is then
not always clear which environment is in effect under which circumstances.)

Not using ubuntu, but I am interested in the environment variables too so I tried this on Mac OS, using no IDE and outside SDK.

These look like the minimal necessary steps. I did it using ant but there is nothing special in the build.xml file, so this should give enough clues for using a makefile or simple command line.

(a) make some directory, it could be anywhere but I used ~/test

(b) copy into ~/test the ant mybuild.xml file from SDK/examples/DevelopersGuide/FirstSteps/build_FirstUnoContact.xml

(c) put your java class file into ~/test. I used the mentioned CreateTextDocument.java but the contained class has to be made "public"

(d)in the mybuild.xml file replace all "FirstUnoContact" by "CreateTextDocument"

(e) copy the SDK/classes folder into ~/test
Some of the files in here are needed for the bootstrap loader

(f) the following environment variables may vary, these are only needed for the mybuild.xml file
OO_SDK_HOME=~/test <where we put everything>
OFFICE_HOME= <the path above program/soffice>

(g) the following environment seems to be sufficient in any case, maybe not all necessary...
UNO_PATH=$OFFICE_HOME/program
OFFICE_PROGRAM_PATH=$OFFICE_HOME/program
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=$OFFICE_HOME/program:.:

Then at the command line
ant -f mybuild.xml

And it runs, no IDE, no SDK.

jim