Hi Martin,

On 03/06/07 02:11, Martin Whitaker wrote:

This is a longstanding RFE (issue #5991) and one I would like to see
implemented. I am prepared to develop the necessary patches, but would
like some guidance.

thank you for your interest in OpenOffice.org. Implementing this feature
involves quite some changes to the code. Let's try.

The obvious way to present this to the user is via a new list box in the
Format->Character->Font Effects form that provides the same options as
the Underlining list box. This is easy enough to implement (I've already
patched the code to do it). The problem comes in adding the infrastructure
to attach the new attributes to selected text. Again, the obvious solution
is to simply duplicate the code that supports underlined text. However,
having started down this route, I soon realised this was going to be a
major change to the code base, modifying many class declarations across
several modules.

A way of significantly reducing the quantity of changes required would
be to change the definition of the enumeration type FontUnderline so
that it could represent all possible combinations of underline and
overline style (i.e. store the underline and overline styles as two
separate bit fields within a FontUnderline value). So the question is,
which would be more acceptable - a patch that changed many files and
classes, or a patch that contains fewer changes, but is a bit of a
kludge?

I think the patch that changes many files and classes is the way to go
here. You would have to start creating a new SvxOverlineItem, analogous
to the SvxUnderlineItem.

Finally, I am currently developing my patches against the 680_m6
(version 2.1.0) snapshot. What tag point should I be using?

I would suggest to move to a more current SRC680 milestone (205 is the
latest right now) to avoid conflicts during integration. I can also offer to create a cws for you.

Please sent any further questions to the Writer mailing list
(dev@sw.openoffice.org).

Best regards,

Frank

--
Frank Meies (fme) - OpenOffice.org Writer