Joe Smith wrote:

> Frank Schönheit - Sun Microsystems Germany wrote:
>> Hi Mathias,

>>> No, just the way it was done is wrong. We should do it the following
>>> way: if the file name contains something that looks like an extension,
>>> leave it alone. If it doesn't contain a "dot", add the extension. This
>>> "simulates" the automatic removal of auto-extension for all names
>>> containing dots.
>>
>> This implies that if your file name contains a dot, you need to specify
>> the desired extension automatically, where previously you could rely on
>> OOo adding it.
>> So, with the AutoExtension option, there's a trap for a certain class of
>> users. Without it, there's a trap, too. I am uncertain, actually, which
>> one is worse.
>
> Even though a general solution is probably impossible, a general
> solution may not be necessary.
>
> Is it necessary to do this for all file types? E.g., if the file type is
> ODF, is there a use case for not adding the standard file extension? Not
> that I can think of, other than perhaps "odf_doc.zip" or "odf_doc.jar",
> which is not common enough to worry about.
>
> As far as I can see, there are only a few specific situations where this
> would be commonly needed, such as saving a CSV file as "data.txt".

You must have read my thoughts. :-)

Exactly, I think there are only two kinds of files where supporting user
defined extensions might be needed: txt/csv and xml. In all other cases
the extension and the format belong to each other. So we shouldn't talk
about "foo.bar", this is developer's blabla ;-) that users are not
interested in. But we have a real use case like the one you described.

We are currently looking into this and try to find out to implement this
behavior. Without going into details I can say that this is a little bit
tricky.

Ciao,
Mathias

Please don't reply to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".