Hi,

i am speaking as a community member and not as Sun employee ;-)

Three month ago or so we had more or less the same discussion. I thought the current situation was clarified and no further discussion is necessary until Sun brings it up or if Sun would misuse the copyright.

The Butler office issue is addressed and the lawyers are working on it. Martin will be so kind to keep us updated ...

This thread brings no new infos to the topic and i think we are all aware of the facts.

The thread is only boring and useless ...

All people who don't like it as it is are free to leave the project and should spare us with this kind of discussion as long as the situation doesn't change.

Juergen

Allen Pulsifer wrote:
The intent is not to mislead, but present the reality. I would argue that talk of "Joint", and "Shared" in copyright assignments (by contrast) is to market the unpleasant fact with meaningless friendly sounding terms :-) ie. the plain truth is perhaps not quite as obvious as you suggest.

I would agree with that statement.  "Joint Copyright" is just for show.  In
practice, a contributor would have the right to use the code under the LGPL
anyway, and if the code is derived from OOo, would have no rights to
distribute the code except on the LGPL.  The only right added by the "Joint
Copyright" is the right to sue for copyright violation, which is again, not
a right that will probably ever be put into practice.  In summary, the
"Joint Copyright" does not add any useful rights that the contributor would
not otherwise have, and is therefore just for show.