Hubert Figuiere wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 18:24 +0100, Mathias Bauer wrote:
>> In case anyone came up with a useful, professional and maintained
>> alternative that is guaranteed to run at least on the four main
>> platforms we could have a look on it. Without that I'd prefer to
>> utilize
>> Sesame. Of course somebody else could implement the stuff also. ;-)
>
> What about using raptor?
> http://librdf.org/raptor/
> and rasqal?
> http://librdf.org/rasqal/

Thanks, we will have a look.

Perhaps I should explain why we chose Sesame in the first place.
Java saves a lot of work wrt. porting. The growing number of OOo
platforms and C++ compilers really can become a problem, especially if
you try to use an external library. So if we chose a C(++) library, it
should be one that willingly supports Windows, Unix and Mac and also is
64 Bit enabled. And it should be something that has some history as well
as some future.

Sesame is a library that is successfully used in projects dealing with
meta data and beyond. It's a link to the semantic Web and - as we think
- has a bright future.

I also hope that the "real free" [TM] Java will be available in a not so
distant future, perhaps when OOo 3.0 is due. And rumours are that this
is very probable. So IMHO Java should become a valid option for all
components that are loaded on demand only and that are not necessary for
everyday work.

We are taking the comments in this thread seriously (why should we have
asked otherwise? ;-)), please also consider our motives thoroughly also.
What currently is not covered by the replies: does anybody know whether
some of the Java replacements (gcj etc.) is compatible to Java 1.5?

Best regards,
Mathias

Please don't reply to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".