Hi,
Le 8 oct. 08 à 11:24, Kay Ramme - Sun Germany - Hamburg a écrit :

Hi Mathias,

Mathias Bauer wrote:
I think the "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" project at least in its current state is still
bound to OOo as it is the central building block. As long as this is not becoming a subject to change it makes a lot of sense to keep it in the
OOo project. But YMMV.
it is currently bound to the OOo suite, as the suite is used to actually do all editing etc., though this is not necessarily the case, e.g. it could use AbiWord or any other application capable of dealing with ODF and WebDAV. It is bound to the OOo site, as I am bound to the OOo site and as long as people think that it is a valuable addition :-)

I know it may sound ?foolhardy?, but I think that we may need to extend the scope of the OOo site somewhat, to be able to stay competitive in the market and in the Open Source movement.

If you remember our mission statement,

"To create, as a community, the leading international office suite that will run on all major platforms and provide access to all functionality and data through open-component based APIs and an XML- based file format."

you see, that our defined goal basically only is about developing a classical desktop application. As the world moves forward, we can see that the WWW and HTML (and is flavors) as well as Ajax etc. are becoming more and more important. In my little world this threatens ODF and OOo and any other "classical" document format and application suite. Luckily we have the chance to integrate into the WWW world, as OOo already supports WebDAV etc. and as ODF is quite expressive, though there are some (glue) pieces left ... namely something on the server, e.g. the [EMAIL PROTECTED] :-)

I can only second Kay's words. We cannot stay on the users' desktop the way we do today, as the state of the art is changing. This does not mean that services such as Google Docs are the necessary answer; I believe they serve a specific market and so do we. But the key to OOo's future and relevancy lies in hybrid use cases. This involves an online strategy combining wikis, online editing tools and so on.

Cheers,

Charles.