Thorsten Behrens wrote:

> Nils Fuhrmann wrote:
>> I know that there were some issue regarding QA'ing buildbot builds in
>> past. To get an idea what the real problem is, we should collect those
>> issues in detail when they occur to find the root cause for them (as we
>> always do). If those issues still are existent, I would await that this
>> list is already available somewhere (Mechtilde, do you have such list?).
>>
> Hi Nils, *,
>
> I would expect to *always* have subtle (or not so subtle)
> differences in the build, *as long* as we don't converge to exactly
> one build system (whatever that might look, not necessarily
> buildbots). That would be fixing the root cause, in my book.
>
>> Really, we should investigate into the concrete list of issues before
>> thinking about any additional infrastructure. So if such list of issues
>> is available, I will ask someone of my team to take a look on it.
>>
> In concur with Andre. I guess it's about using the existing
> infrastructure properly - why not setup a buildbot with the exact HH
> Linux buildenv (publish that as a VM/VirtualBox image at the
> same time), and keep it in sync with internal builds (of course,
> having RelEng build on that very same machine/setup would nicely
> ensure that this is the case)?

Perhaps it would help to agree on what we want to have in an ideal
world. And then see what we can achieve now and in the forseeable
future. At that point we can decide whether it makes sense to look on
trees or if we already like the wood.

I agree with Caolan and Thorsten Behrens: ideally we all could use the
same build environment with the same conditions. The same conditions can
be guaranteed on reference systems only, we never will be able to handle
arbitrary builds, but IMHO this is not necessary. Having a reference
build system available to everybody is enough. The build bots we are
talking about should be these reference systems.

Also ideally we would do all internal CWS builds we do for final QA and
"official" release builds on these systems also. I don't see a big
problem with this requirement for CWS builds. I think it could be even a
relief for most developers in Hamburg to have that. But obviously this
doesn't work for the release builds, at least not today.

If the Hamburg RE can't use the build bots for their builds, it's fair
to charge them with keeping both systems in sync and make it a priority
to keep that running, monitor the state and fix problems ASAP.

Another important point: the builds from the bots should be the
reference for all other builds, especially wrt. QA.

Then only the Hamburg RE will need to wonder whether keeping a second
build environment and keeping it in sync is an economic way to invest
resources or if perhaps having a unified build environment (including
adjustments to requirements of the Hamburg RE) might be a better way.
This is a decision that wouldn't affect and so is also completely
irrelevant for anyone outside of Hamburg.

The "standard" way of testing CWS and releases should be tailored to the
"standard" way of doing builds. And "standard" means: accessible to
everybody.

Is that a wood we could agree on? Or shall we keep the status quo and
look on the trees?

Ciao,
Mathias

Please don't reply to "nospamfor...@gmx.de".