On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:26:12 +0100
Herbert Duerr <du...@sun.com> wrote:

> That was my point. The rule that got us the hardcoded WIN16-style
> code then is not IMHO is not a good guide for the future. If the
> timeless native types had been used it would have grown with the
> platform.

And thus would be ABI incompatible whenever the native types "grows".
Naa, thats not better. This way we are, in theory, at least still free
to make a sal_Int16 an 32-Bit value, whenever _we_ like to(*). With a
native type, we are bound to whatever the platform deems appropriate.

BR,

Bjoern

(*) Unless there is code that is _relying_ on overflows -- but that
stuff breaks too with "native type growth".