Hi,

much of what Herbert writes is beside my point

I think that criticizing old rules that cause problems today by causing bigger, slower, limited code which introduces extra maintenance burdens and extra bugs from too tight types and signed-/ unsigned issues is right on topic. Is this not the topic we are talking about here?

[...] to permit ints and longs for everything

Who wants that? If you need fixed-width types you need them... but even then using typedefs or or packing them into classes is often better.

Anyway, I've stated my points. And I have a lot of experience to back them up. With that said I'm getting out of this discussion, I just don't have enough time.

---
Herbert Duerr
du...@sun.com

Registered Office: Sun Microsystems GmbH
Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Commercial register of the Local Court of Munich: HRB 161028
Managing Directors: Thomas Schroeder
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Martin Haering

              • ... Herbert Duerr
              • ... bjoern michaelsen - Sun Microsystems - Hamburg Germany
              • ... Herbert Duerr
              • ... bjoern michaelsen - Sun Microsystems - Hamburg Germany
              • ... Michael Stahl
              • ... Eike Rathke
              • ... Thorsten Behrens
              • ... Herbert Duerr
              • ... Philipp Lohmann
              • ... Thorsten Behrens
              • ... Herbert Duerr
              • ... Thorsten Behrens
              • ... Thorsten Behrens
      • Re: [dev] ... Stephan Bergmann
        • Re: [d... Thorsten Behrens
        • Re: [d... bjoern michaelsen - Sun Microsystems - Hamburg Germany
      • Re: [dev] ... bjoern michaelsen - Sun Microsystems - Hamburg Germany
  • Re: [dev] Coding St... bjoern michaelsen - Sun Microsystems - Hamburg Germany