On 24/06/2010 13:52, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> On 06/24/10 12:42, Niklas Nebel wrote:
>> On 06/24/10 12:29, Mathias Bauer wrote:
>>> The idea is so good that someone is already working on it. :-)
>>> There is ongoing work to replace a lot of ancient types like BOOL,
>>> USHORT etc. by sal_... types, with the exception that BOOL/FASTBOOl
>>> will be replaced by bool.
>> "BOOL -> bool" will cause problems. Memory usage for "new BOOL[n]",
>> mixed use with sal_Bool (pointers, references), the occasional "special"
>> value (SfxChildWinInfo::bVisible). Shouldn't we go the safe way and
>> change BOOL to sal_Bool instead?
>
> Re memory usage: BOOL[n] and bool[n] would each be n bytes in size, or
> what am I missing?

isn't bool ususally (or at least sometimes) 4 bytes in size?

but actually instead of BOOL[n] some kind of bit vector could be used,
which would take even less space, right?

> Re mixed use with sal_Bool: haven't encountered this problem often over
> the last years (and I liberally use bool instead of sal_Bool/BOOL since
> ages) -- also, it might be better to try to adapt the mismatching uses
> of sal_Bool to bool, too, leaving usage of sal_Bool to the only place it
> belongs, C++ UNO.

actually, i've just recently cleaned up a part of the UNO API
implementation in the writer;
a few of the method implementations used BOOL in the signature instead of
sal_Bool (usually the header used one and the implementation the other...)

this happens to work because C++ doesn't take type safety seriously, and
they're both unsigned char.
that's something to watch out for: here BOOL must be replaced with sal_Bool.

> Re the occasional "special" value: I guess one day we should bite the
> bullet and clean those up for good.

seconded.

--
Hofstadter's Law: