Basically the steps to release are as follows:

- Propose a release
- Perform any necessary QA to verify stability, etc.
- Generate and post a release candidate
- Call for a vote on the release

The first couple steps can be performed any time. Todd has historically done
step 3, so if he is available he will be the most expedient. The last step
involves the PMC members validating the release to ensure that it adheres to
ASF release guidelines and generally goes pretty quickly.

I'd suggest sending an email to the dev list proposing the release and asking
for assistance testing. Once it is collectively agreed that the release is
stable enough, you can go on to the next steps.

Make sense?