Hi Tison,

> But any proposer can take their proposal number once proposed and a
committer clicks the merge button. Still, I'm concerned about adding such a
step to exclusively allocate a proposal number.

Here is the previous discussion
https://lists.apache.org/thread/vw25onjyo18trfysd7x9k9wrs2tyqfok
about this part. Without the request, approval steps for the PIP number.
I didn't think of any other better way to help us manage the proposal
number better.
The proposal number should be solemn and not very casual.

> I would suggest you collect the suggestions in this discussion thread

Yes, I agree. This is exactly what I'm currently doing.
Sorry, the PR https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/17270 introduced the
confusion.
Have this one just for that we are able to review detailed changes based on
the old one.
So I pushed the PR.

Best,
Penghui