> Using a directory structure to organize PIP status might make the git
history a bit less direct because changing state is equivalent with a
file move instead of a line updated in a file. However, if we do it
that way, we could have a README.md file organizing PIP metadata and
linking to the actual PIP file in the directory structure. That
README.md would also serve as the source of truth for PIP numbers
because each PIP pointer would get its associated line number. Then,
concurrent PIPs would need to resolve merge conflicts just before
merging and only then would they acquire their number.

Oh, get your point, Michael. I think this solution looks better. We can also
add something in README.md and users can also get the complete
proposal list here. In the future, maybe we can show it on the website.

Best,
Penghui