2009/12/10 Rafael Schloming <rafa...@redhat.com>

> Marnie McCormack wrote:
>
>> Hi Rafi,
>>
>> Thanks for taking the time to write these. I think they're a good idea to
>> have for new people.
>>
>> At risk of incurring your wrath - I found it them a little long, at first
>> reading.
>>
>> I wonder if you'd consider a more concise version - be happy to have a
>> shot
>> at it if that'd be helpful and not cross making ?
>>

> Please feel free, I'm not actively working on anything right now. I'll try
> to keep my wrath in check until I see what you produce. ;)
>

>  I'd like to think we should welcome people in, tell them what they might
>> need to know but I'm hoping we won't scare them off.
>>
>> What do you think ?
>>

> I don't want to scare people too much. At the same time I don't want to
> have only a very dry list of process points that people can end up following
> to the letter with no real understanding of the spirit, and I think the most
> direct way to understand the spirit is to gain some real context in terms of
> the sorts of things that have and do actually happen.
>
> This may cause the length to grow a bit, but I don't think that's an issue.
> I would expect reading this material to be a tiny fraction of the overall
> time anyone who is serious is going to spend getting involved in qpid, and I
> think it is worthwhile time spent as it can give people a leg up.

I agree that while brevity is always desirable, we don't necessarily want
this to look like a list of rules.  I think that this needs to be cast as an
introduction to project etiquette rather than as prescriptive law.

That said the existing format does look rather overwhelming.  Maybe it can
be broken up, or using folding sections on a web page... or simply use less
words :-)  People are much more likely to read if it looks easily
digestible.

-- Rob