On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Lahiru Gunathilake <glah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Bruce,
>>
>> One consideration that we identified is that this work will probably
>>> need to take place outside of the ASF so that non-ASF folks can
>>> participate (we each agreed that Github would be suitable).
>>>
>> -1 !
>> I do not think this is a good approach to do this and we can always start
>> this inside ASF as a sub project of Qpid and ask Non ASF folks be ASF folks
>> !
>
> I disagree with hosting it under either the Qpid or ActiveMQ projects.
> This effort is separate from ActiveMQ or Qpid projects. It's focused
> strictly on AMQP 1.0 protocol handling. In a perfect world this effort
> would exist at the AMQP working group's website, but the working group
> is strictly against the creation and maintenance of any reference
> implementations. I suppose one other option is the creation of a new
> project at the ASF, but the only way to do that is via the Incubator
> and I'm not sure I want the encumbrances that that brings.

I just re-read the Qpid website for a description of the project. The
most meaningful info I found is here:

http://qpid.apache.org/amqp-compatibility.html

So Qpid seems to be focused on its broker and client *implementations*
of the spec. The effort I proposed would be focused on a library to be
used for building AMQP 1.0 clients, not a broker-specific client
implementation. Like I said previously, the best analogy for this
effort is to the Apache Commons HTTP Client and the library it
provides for the HTTP spec. Many folks use the HTTP Client on which to
build apps and custom HTTP clients. This effort will provide a similar
spec-focused client library for AMQP 1.0.

So having the project separate from any broker implementation is the ideal.

Bruce
--
perl -e 'print
unpack("u30","D0G)u8...@4vyy9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*"