Picking Github also means picking a more decentralized collaboration
model where there is no 'owner' or group of owners that folks have to
get blessing from to start contributing in a meaningful way.  Any one
can fork at any time and contribute. Worthy contributions will be
merged by the other forks.  That aspect also increases the idea of
vendor/organization independence.

--
Regards,
Hiram