Gordon applied this change for the 0.6 release:

At the very least something similar for 0.8 will do. The final
'release notes' can just be a link to the auto-generated JIRA output,
but we should have a few things listed in the release email to call
out any major highlights. I started such a list on the wiki page I
made, https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/0.8+Release ,
it would be good if everyone would please make suggestions for it.

Talking of JIRA, what are peoples thoughts on the version numbers
post-release? Should the 0.7 and 0.8 versions be merged together and
renamed 0.8 ? I think it might be more understandable for users, as
0.7 was never released. Currently there are items in both 0.7 and 0.8
versions and I would have to give links to both Release Notes outputs
to get a full picture of whats actually in the 0.8 release.

Robbie