For backwards compatibility reasons, I doubt we can really move lots
of stuff into 'tools', but I agree that there is lots of stuff we
could move there. If we started this kind of thinking, there are
probably a bunch of very broad categories we could move things into.

I dislike tools as the name for the two tools at hand.

Perhaps separate top-level collections is the best we can do.

Robby

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Matthias Felleisen
<matth...@ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> Is 'tool' plus flat subcollections really out?
>
> I am not really keen on 'tuning', plus I see a chance to thin out the
> collection top-level tree here.
>

> On Jul 11, 2012, at 8:26 PM, Robby Findler wrote:
>
>> I like coaching for the (formerly known as) performance report tool. A lot!
>>
>> I was suggesting "tuning" for the collection that would house the
>> future visualizer and the performance coach and hopefully eventually a
>> memory profiler. (And maybe Eli's profiler could move in there someday
>> too.)
>>
>> Robby
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Matthias Felleisen
>> <matth...@ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

>>> They were correct, and you conjectured correctly. We conflated
>>> 'optimization' with 'performance gains.' As everyone knows who has been
>>> around real compilers and their writers, some 'optimizations' are
>>> 'pessimizations' as Keith used to call them. And of course even when
>>> 'optimizations' reduce the running time and/or the space consumption, they
>>> aren't _optimizations_ as John Dennis used to remind us. There is a similar
>>> conflation that additional related work pointed out. People tend to confuse
>>> 'analysis results' with 'can do optimization'. This is certainly not true
>>> for in-lining in Racket and if you know of more those optimizations, I'd
>>> love to hear about them.
>>>
>>> 'Tuning' would work but we decided that 'coaching' was a good term for what
>>> was going on from the programmer's perspective. And the word isn't used
>>> anywhere else in CS as far as I know, while other terms (including
>>> 'tuning') are used and may have a different connotation.

  Racket Developers list:
  http://lists.racket-lang.org/dev