Instead of discouraging contributions, the project should ease the
contribution - and also the review process.
The current JIRA + Reviewboard infrastructure needs a lot's of unnecessary
manual steps, which hurts everyone who wants to help.
 Currently, the contributor needs to do the following, after they have a
working commit in their git repository
1, open a jira ticket
2, generate a patch from git
2, create a review boad request, uploading the patch to it
3, upload the patch to jira
4, if something is not correct, they have to repeat 2-3.

Similarly, for the reviewer, he has to manually download, apply, and run
the tests locally, even when he thinks the patch is ok.

My suggestion is to switch to a pull request based workflow, where the
manual patch creation, upload-download process could be omitted, and travis
or some other automatic build service should be introduced, to ensure, that
the base sanity tests are not omitted accidentally.
 With this process, a commiter could review and approve a trivial commits
in less than a minute.

Is there any particular reason, why the current workflow used as is ?

Regards,
 Zsombor