Zsombor,

>> Instead of discouraging contributions
My suggestion was to discourage patches that have *only* very, very tiny and
non-essential updates – like changing case of a label word from “G” to “g”,
removing a blank line, etc; or patches that touch hundreds of files for
trivial/non-essential updates. I think these can’t be a way to ease into the
project. A better way would be to take time to understand the project
functionality and contribute towards enhancing it. I think an excellent example
in this regard would be Colm’s initial contributions, which significantly
improved the unit test coverage for Ranger plugins. It will help the Ranger
community immensely if contributors take such a path.

>> Is there any particular reason, why the current workflow used as is ?
Ranger community has been using review-board since its beginning, and it seems
to be working well. Many Apache project do use this approach.

As new contributors join the community, their experience/expectation might be
different. Use of ‘pull requests’ to deal with patch/review/merge was suggested
sometime back as well. I think we should give this a shot, to find if this
approach makes it easier for everyone. However, bear in mind that people might
have bias towards a specific approach, based on their prior experience and
comfort level. Forcing everyone to change might take effort/time.

Thanks,
Madhan