We presently have indexes on the entryid in roller_comment (line 236) and on website_id in weblogentry (line 174): http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/roller/trunk/app/src/main/resources/sql/createdb.vm?revision=1625869&view=markup. It wouldn't be a disaster, but I'm inclined against denormalization (duplicating website ids in the roller_comment table) as I believe a relational model is a strong selling point for Roller, it's better to let heavy users do what tweaking--whatever indexes or database changes--they need to do to support their custom needs.

Since Matt's blog is the only blog on his instance, he can also do some of the same comment management on the global comment management screen, which doesn't have that join. Actually, it would be good for him to do that just to see if the problem goes away there (i.e., it's a database join issue), or if it doesn't then it might be a memory problem unrelated to the join.

The indexes could also possibly be hurting him because there's only one website id for his blog server and it's inefficient to go to indexes instead of the tables directly when every record they would find would be fitting anyway.

Matt can also remove the join from the .orm.xml file, do an mvn clean install to get a custom build and then deploy that. His blog comment management page would list all comments, but that wouldn't matter as he just has one blog. I think Matt had earlier stated he has a non-standard Roller installation that doesn't lend itself to an automatic upgrade so some hacking on his part is probably going to be needed anyway if he wishes to upgrade.

Glen