Just to examine these steps and try to communicate how I would have handled
them:

When I run into a similar problem while using “bleeding edge” code, my first
step is to write the problem to the list ASAP. I’ll spend the minimum time
necessary to isolate the problem and then describe the problem as concisely as
possible. Discussion usually helps flush out what the problem is and helps find
a course of action.

If I am stuck and must continue working, I will do one of two things:

1. Locally I will revert to previous code if I can. Usually with compiler
issues, this is possible.
2. Create a temporary branch for my own use. If the change is useful to
illustrate the problem (or it needs to be shared with others), I will push the
branch to the remote.

As you mentioned, your commit was likely to be reverted. That makes it a prime
candidate for a temporary branch. Although I’m not sure why you couldn’t just
revert to prior to Alex’s change locally to keep on working.

I don’t think there was anything wrong with Alex committing his code to
develop. We discussed the problem he was trying to solve and the change fixes
it as intended. I don’t think anyone was aware that you were missing MXRoyale
and Jewel. (I definitely was not.)

I can’t imagine why it should not be possible to include the MXRoyale swc in a
Jewel project (or vice versa). It should just be a matter of figuring out the
correct configuration. Like Josh, I’d be interested in the details to
understand the problem better.

My $0.02,
Harbs