Hi Jörg,

I should have followed-up on this..

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 20:55:29 +0200, Jörg Wartenberg wrote:

> would you think that it is usefull, to analyse the structure of the
> formula and store it in an appropriate XML structure with different
> attributes for operator, operand?

Yes and no. Yes, it could be useful and allow for great flexibility, but
I doubt that one really wants to break up, for example, a simple
addition into attributes describing operator and operands. I also don't
see any advantage in doing it for those basic operators, their behavior
is mathematically well defined. However, if optional it could be used
for operators that are not exactly mathematical operators and were
introduced with spreadsheets, like 'intersection' of cell areas, for
example, or similar.

> Maybe it's possible to seperate the specifications for the expression
> itself, and the cell reference which points on the input values.

This should be independent from each other anyway. Formulas have to work
with direct values and cell references, and cell references in case of
the OpenDocument standard are defined to be written as [.A1] and the
like.

> IMHO would this make the syntax useable for other kinds of
> applications too. I'am thinking on something like a database server
> plugin, that uses the same formula syntax, but uses references to data
> inside the database instead of spreadsheet cells.

This would make it necessary to specify different types of references.

  Eike

--
 OOo/SO Calc core developer. Number formatter bedevilled I18N transpositionizer.
 GnuPG key 0x293C05FD:  997A 4C60 CE41 0149 0DB3  9E96 2F1A D073 293C 05FD