Hi Wojciech,

These are just my views, but hopefully they will be useful in some
way. :-)

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 18:23 -0400, Wojciech Gryc wrote:

>    I guess what I am trying to get at is, how can I add functions to Calc
>    through the source code? All the tutorials I've found are for add-ins.

In my view, the best way to add new cell functions for this task are via
UNO add-in component.  A direct modification of the Calc source code is
probably best left for built-in functions, IMO.

>    2. From your perspectives, should this be considered an add-in or
>    directly coded into the "sc" folder? Is there any other area of the source
>    code I should be working in?

I wouldn't directly code into the sc module, because that would add a
strong dependency on R.  Adding new functions via UNO add-in component
will have the same effect, and is probably much easier & cleaner because
it's pluggable.

You may have already seen it, but there is also the scaddins module
where you can add new functions.  This module was there originally to
ease addition of new cell functions without touching the Calc core, but
I don't know if this module is actively used today (Niklas?).  I
wouldn't bother with this scaddins module though.  I'd go with the UNO
add-in component approach.

>    3. Any thoughts on the TCP/IP versus package-to-OO communication
>    mentioned above? I think it might be a bit beyond the scope of the summer
>    project, but I'd be happy to try to tackle it if there's interest.

You can probably leave this part for now, and do it only when you have
time left.  As long as the code to connect to R is sufficiently isolated
(aka modularized), rewriting that part to use TCP/IP can be done
later.

Hope this helps.

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida - OpenOffice.org Engineer - Novell, Inc.
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>