I think a sync in both directions is problematic and I wouldn't go there -
but I know that there only a few having this opinion.
In my opinion, when I'm talking about a developer that's someone who
develops code including scripts and usually Java - this might also include
coding in client side stuff like js and css. There is the central tool you
use for developing and that's the IDE with a strong integration into the
SCM (svn, git etc). The dev never has to leave this IDE for anything. In
this scenario, there is only a sync from IDE to Sling required - but not
the other way round.
Whenever that's needed (syncing data from Sling into the file system) this
should imho be an explicit decision by the dev - simply by invoking an
action from the IDE. An automatic sync in both directions is dangerous and
imho in most cases not wanted/desired/required.

As soon as we're talking about automatic sync from Sling to the project
checkout, this has a different style of development in mind - which I think
we should not support when talking about IDE support. Either we support IDE
development and then we do it right and have a style of working that does
not require to leave the IDE - or we do something different, but then let's
make it clear that we don't plan to provide a true dev experience.

Carsten