Hi,

On 4 October 2016 at 08:43, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 10:27 AM, Ian Boston <i...@tfd.co.uk> wrote:
> > ...I think it would be a mistake to attempt to split the repository into
> 100s
> > of separate Git repositories as it will make it near impossible for any
> > outsider to work on the code base....
>
> My understanding is that one Git repository per released artifact is
> the standard way of working with Git, and having a single repository
> with our about 300 modules wouldn't be practical for releasing,
> tagging etc.
>
> And tools like those listed at  [1] (repo, gitslave etc.) allow for
> creating a single "kitchen sink" setup to make it easy to checkout the
> whole codebase with one command.
>
> We should of course test that first before migrating, by doing a few
> dry runs of the conversion to multiple git repositories and tests of
> the resulting setup.
>
> Would that work for you Ian, or do you still think that won't work?

I can work with multiple git repositories. I was channelling the experience
of a potential contributor when encountering large numbers of module
repositories. Channelling my own experience in some cases. Sometimes even
finding which root repository to checkout and run gitslave on when looking
at huge github is a challenge.

That said, getting Travis to build each one and all the pull requests, as
well as having the local build time cut by an order of magnitude will be a
good thing.

Perhaps Sling has too many independently versioned modules. Linux[1]
manages to put many modules into a single repository and release it as a
clean consistent version. He only has 3 repos, and 43K followers and
according to the stats and ∞ number of contributors. I think that is a
measure of success to aim for ?

Best Regards
Ian

1 https://github.com/torvalds/linux