IntelliJ is produced by a company and I have no idea how they go about
selecting what the default inspections (what IntelliJ calls these) are.
Maybe it was one person there, maybe it was arbitrary by whoever wrote
the inspection, or maybe they had some more thoughtful approach that looked
at literature.  Regardless, I disagree with some of their choices.  I think
we should base our decisions on what inspections to address for ourselves,
not *just* because JetBrains included them.  I routinely adjust my IntelliJ
inspection settings to not harass me about some matters that I consider to
be frivolous.  For example boolean expression simplifications -- where we
as a project (when a part of Lucene) have chosen "== false" to be
clearer than an exclamation point adjacent to a boolean expression.

If we do some of this:  Agreed on picking exactly one "inspection" and
scoping to just one module at first.  Could increase to more commits in the
same PR if you get good feedback.
Personally, I wouldn't do this endeavor unless the particular inspection is
something that particularly motivates me / was a pet-peeve.
I think "getting to green" is a toal lost cause unless we were to enforce a
particular configured list of inspections (which is IntelliJ only,
remember).

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley