On Tue, Oct 17, 2023 at 1:01 PM Arrieta, Alejandro <
aarri...@perrinsoftware.com> wrote:

> Editing:  I agree with David's comments.
> I would add only one thing. The September edition is finished/over unless
> something is wrong with it and needs to be fixed. Draft or not draft that
> is the September edition.  It is better to use our limited time preparing
> the October/November

newsletter and make it better than the previous edition.

This is more about periodicity (covered below) than it is about editing.

> I will share the September newsletter as Draft/Proposal on my social media
> later today to make Solr noise :-)
>
> Publishing:
> Anywhere it can be indexed by the googles and bings, and PC/Tablet/Mobile
> can access it. Solr Wiki is fine.
> We need to make noise about it everywhere: LinkedIn, Twitter/X, Mastodon,
> mailing lists, ASF social media.
> Here is one example of a newsletter from another project:
> https://opensearch.org/blog/opensearch-newsletter-vol1-issue1/

There's something to be said for not dating a newsletter, as I see there in
the URL of that one.  Flexibility.

> Brian told me they can share on ASF social media accounts what we need to
> share, the newsletter, or a link to the newsletter. ASF publishes at least
> once per one or two weeks project news on Linkedin. We need to send him
> what and when to share it.

I'm not very comfortable over-publicizing what I view as a first draft of
the first edition.

I propose that *EITHER* (A): more text be put into the September
newsletter, not to change the past, only to elaborate what happened in the
past :-).  Then share it widely.  In its current form, I think it's too
draft-like to be our first inaugural newsletter.  It will get attention;
it's our first one.  I want to impress people and not have Solr appear
second rate simply because you ran out of time Alejandro.  OR (B) let's
make October's newsletter be the awesome one and that which will be shared
widely.  Not September's newsletter.  That is what I would most prefer; we
can announce both a new Solr version and also take the opportunity to
highlight topics discussed at Community-over-Code.  WDYT?

> Periodicity:
> -If we have enough news/links to share on the release date (first three
> days of the month), the threshold can be 10-20-30 news. If we do not have
> that many, we do not release and join what we have next month.
> IMHO, for the first months/releases, we can share old but still relevant
> links or highlight Solr documentation.

What is 10-20-30 about?

> -If something relevant happens, like a new release or some CVE that we need
> to comment on, we do a release even if we are short of news/links. When the
> next major release process starts, users know Solr 10 is coming.

Sure.  At first you seemed super fixed on monthly, here you seem more
flexible.  Hey whatever.

BTW I just created
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/Newsletters as a parent
for the newsletters.