I’ll inline my responses...

> On Feb 26, 2024, at 7:34 AM, Arrieta, Alejandro <aarri...@perrinsoftware.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hello Eric,
>
> 1) The idea here is that when a user run’s “bin/solr start” it fires up an
> embedded zookeeper.   Same behavior as “bin/solr -c” in Solr 9.5.    If you
> have a Zookeeper Ensemble then “bin/solr start -z YOUR_ZK_SETUP” would
> connect to the external ensemble instead.
> If Solrcloud is the new default, this sounds good to me from a user
> perspective.
This is correct.   Jason G and I started looking at how we could handle
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/SIP-14+Embedded+Zookeeper as
part of this.

> 2) bin/solr start —standalone
> I have always known the modes as standalone and solrcloud. But current
> documentation uses "user-managed" instead of "standalone":
> https://solr.apache.org/guide/solr/latest/deployment-guide/cluster-types.html#solrcloud-mode
> Mail thread shared by Jan uses "standalone" too.
> IMHO, standalone describes it better, but if all users know it as
> "user-managed" and documentation uses that name.

I have to agree that “standalone” makes more sense to me as well.  I think the
idea of “user-managed” was to really highlight “hey, you are doing all the
management of coordination”….  It feels like a bit of very in the weeds
specification that most folks won’t care about.

> 2) Ref Guide changes to put Solrcloud first and standalone/user-managed
> second.
> Not all docs have solrcloud at the end. Some point to a different page for
> solrcloud at the start, like Backups:
> https://solr.apache.org/guide/solr/latest/deployment-guide/backup-restore.html
> The new/current default should appear first in the documentation, including
> the starting guide. I know from my experience users will not read the
> complete page and use/test the first part.
That’s a great perspective, and I agree.