:-)  Well I don't want to change the vetting process for a release and
xt/60_perlcritic.t has been used for years on the code base.
Suggestions what we can do to resolve the issue that also passes that
test so we don't have to go down that rabbithole?

There are some other perlcritic warnings about modifying $_ in list functions
(in sa-update, spamassassin, spamd).  Opening a PR would be warranted.

The MS::Util::untaint_var() is still broken...

Btw, common use of 'return 0' in TxRep to indicate a boolean response
falls into the same category as 'return undef', although Test::Perl::Critic
does not check for that.

  Mark