My 2 cents - I'd rather see design docs in github pull requests (using
plain text / markdown).  That doesn't require changing access or adding
people, and github PRs already allow for conversation / email notifications.

Conversation is already split between jira and github PRs.  Having a third
stream of conversation in Google Docs just leads to things being ignored.