I think it's OK to have design discussions on github, as emails go to
ASF lists. After all, loads of PR discussions happen there. It's easy
for anyone to follow.

I also would rather just discuss on Github, except for all that noise.

It's not great to put discussions in something like Google Docs
actually; the resulting doc needs to be pasted back to JIRA promptly
if so. I suppose it's still better than a private conversation or not
talking at all, but the principle is that one should be able to access
any substantive decision or conversation by being tuned in to only the
project systems of record -- mailing list, JIRA.