No, I think our intent is that using a deprecated language version can
generate warnings, but that it should still work; whereas once we remove
support for a language version, then it really is ok for Spark developers
to do things not compatible with that version and for users attempting to
use that version to encounter errors.

OK, understood.

With that understanding, the first steps toward removing support for Scala
2.10 and/or Java 7 would be to deprecate them in 2.1.0. Actual removal of
support could then occur at the earliest in 2.2.0.

Java 7 is already deprecated per the 2.0 release notes which I linked to. Here
they are
<http://spark.apache.org/releases/spark-release-2-0-0.html#deprecations>
again.
​