Assaf.

From: Sean Owen [mailto:so...@cloudera.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2016 2:07 PM
To: Mendelson, Assaf; dev@spark.apache.org

I think that unfortunately mailing lists don't scale well. This one has
thousands of subscribers with different interests and levels of experience. For
any given person, most messages will be irrelevant. I also find that a lot of
questions on user@ are not well-asked, aren't an SSCCE (http://sscce.org/), not
something most people are going to bother replying to even if they could
answer. I almost entirely ignore user@ because there are higher-priority
channels like PRs to deal with, that already have hundreds of messages per day.
This is why little of it gets an answer -- too noisy.

We have to have official mailing lists, in any event, to have some official
channel for things like votes and announcements. It's not wrong to ask
questions on user@ of course, but a lot of the questions I see could have been
answered with research of existing docs or looking at the code. I think that
given the scale of the list, it's not wrong to assert that this is sort of a
prerequisite for asking thousands of people to answer one's question. But we
can't enforce that.

The situation will get better to the extent people ask better questions, help
other people ask better questions, and answer good questions. I'd encourage
anyone feeling this way to try to help along those dimensions.

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 11:32 AM assaf.mendelson