This is a fine thing to VOTE on. Committers (and community,
non-binding) can VOTE on what we like; we just don't do it often where
not required because it's a) overkill overhead over simple lazy
consensus, and b) it can be hard to say what the binding VOTE binds if
it's not a discrete commit or release. This is a big enough deal that
it's not overkill. The question is, what does it bind?

It means the release is definitely blocked until the items here are
done, but, what's 'done'? It will return to the same questions already
on the table, like do we need to define just APIs, and to what degree
of stability. At worst it might not resolve anything.

I don't see much harm in nailing down what appears to be agreement at
the level of specific goals, even if this isn't a vote on a release
date or specific commit. I think it's clear these items must be
resolved to the level of semi-stable API by 3.0, as it's coming soon
and this is the right time to establish these APIs. It might provide
necessary clarity and constraints to get it over the line.

To Mark -- yeah, this is asserting that DSv2 is a primary or necessary
goal of the release, just like a "Blocker" does. Why would this
argument be different or better if it waited until 3.0 was imminent? I
get that one might say, well, we ended up working on more important
stuff in the meantime and now we don't have time. But this VOTE's
purpose is to declare that this is the important stuff now.

To Jose -- what's the "just a few PRs in review" issue? you worry that
we might rush DSv2 at the end to meet a deadline? all the better to,
if anything, agree it's important now. It's also an agreement to delay
the release for it, not rush it. I don't see that later is a better
time to make the decision, if rush is a worry?

Given my definition, and understanding of the issues, I'd say +1