On 2/17/06, Ted Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 2/17/06, Laurie Harper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Another way of looking at it is that such a tag would be capturing the
> > same information as the Maven POM... The main value of a tag is to allow
> > someone to check out all the code for a given release at once. Checking
> > out just action and letting Maven pull the release jars for the other
> > sub-projects gets you there anyway IMHO.
>
> The Action Library is not a release per se. It's a collection of JARs:
> Commons JARs, Struts JARs, and whatever other dependant JARs we can
> redistribute.

Is the Struts Action Library what the Struts Classic release page on the
wiki is about? If not, I'm now quite confused about what Struts Action
Framework, Struts Action Library and Struts Classic are. I still believe we
decided to not use the Struts Classic name, so I'm hoping we're down to just
the other two.

The idea is that Taglibs releases a new 1.3.1 JAR that we have already
> tested to work with (say) Struts Action 1.3.4. We vote the Taglibs
> 1.3.1 JAR GA, and decide to update the Struts Action Library by
> replacing the Taglib 1.3.0 JAR with the Taglib 1.3.1 JAR.
>
> Now, if we're saying that in order to update the Struts Action library
> with the new Taglib 1.3.1 JAR, I have to checkout a certain revision
> of six other subprojects so that we can do a complex tag, I'm suddenly
> going to find something else to do :)

You don't have to have *anything* checked out to create a tag or branch in
SVN. That so many things can be done without anything on your local disk is
one of my favourite things about SVN.

IMO, such a tag is going to be the only reliable way to connect the version
number to its precise content.

--
Martin Cooper

Of course, if that sounds like fun to someone else, hey, go for it.