Frank W. Zammetti wrote:

You are of course right about this.  But, much like taking the ideas about
inventory control and order processing and such from Dell and starting
your own business is possible, the likelihood that you would get anything
but a small fraction of the attention and business that Dell gets is slim
to none.

Not to sidle in where I don't really belong but perhaps this last sentence exemplifies the disconnect with "getting it"? If one wanted to take the code from an apache project and do something else with it then all they care about is the something else they want to do. It isn't really a "business"... the code exists for the code's sake.

I'm not a committer but I've been following this list and the tomcat dev list since the last millennium... I think before there even was a struts 1.0. I can't speak in an official capacity, I can't even pretend, but here is my take on the "apache way".

For an open source project to exist you need code. All of apache projects seem to exist to benefit the code... and by extension the documentation. Though, even without documentation you still have the code. All of the other stuff is extraneous or the life support system depending on how you look at it. I think most of the "apache way" is partially considering it to be extraneous... in a "if the code goes sour and you have nothing" sort of way. It's definitely symbiotic but without the code, you have nothing. You might as well be chatting on myspace.com.

So, the only reason to be a committer is to contribute to the codebase... and all other committers have to live with each other. The only reason to be able to cast a binding vote is if you have a stake in the code... ie: are a committer.

Which doesn't mean that other votes don't count... that's up to how the committers want to appeal to the community. But ultimately, they have to live with what the decide so it makes sense that they have the final word.

Bottom line: if a person isn't contributing to code and documentation in a way that the other committers are comfortable with then that person shouldn't be a committer on the project. There is no other reason for being a committer.

My personal (and probably unneeded) opinion on the original subject:

From my perspective, nominations don't matter so much... as I recall someone could nominate themselves. If that person hasn't been contributing code then there is no reason to think they will become a committer.

It would be nice if the process were a little more transparent as it would be interesting to know who was proposed, accepted, rejected, etc. even if we didn't know why. (Though, even counter to that it was nice to know that someone who contributed to another apache project and stomped all over my contributed implementation because they didn't bother to patch to head was at least a controversial nomination. But that's sort of personal and isolated reason for wanting to see the dirty laundry.)

I guess I have trouble seeing how things could be improved much by your proposal... especially since I understood there to be nothing wrong with nominations coming from anywhere. It was just explained to be easier with a committer's support. I don't follow this list too closely, so maybe I missed someone who has been contributing lots of stuff and still was overlooked.

-Paul