My quick thoughts: I think realistically either of the following two outcomes
are positive developments for everyone:

1) We move in the direction of "Struts 2.0", which houses all SAF2 and Shale
and get back for it being OK for folks to say, "I use Struts". We've all said
we want to work together closer, but it's just talk until we take action to do
so. This strategy, as proposed by Don in this thread, would be the first step
in taking action.

2) Shale becomes a TLP. We continue to share code and ideas where it makes
sense, but that is entirely optional. This is effectively what we have now,
except that it would be formalized.

I would prefer option #1, but I know it could be hard to pull off. Either way,
both are good routes to go down and would be healthy for the community.

Patrick