You may want to take a peek at the svn source tree in t5. It has a slightly
better version of these semantics. (though I doubt you'll find any advanced
sort of expr support like ognl might provde)

That being said, 1ms or so is all it takes to render a lot of tapestry
pages, so I wouldn't discount the potential perf savings that quickly..