Last time I'll interrupt your normal dev cycle I promise.

Since it seems we are both equally screwed in the short term by any non ognl
solution it might be beneficial to consider just fixing it. I'm very
familiar with javassist bytecode manipulation and vaguely familiar with the
internal workings of ognl. It doesn't seem like it would be extremely hard
to do.

If it didn't look like my time/efforts would be wasted/ignored I might be
willing to collaborate with whoever is interested (and able to commit to
ognl) on finding a workable solution.