On 2/6/07, Don Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I would love it if we actually did this.  Unfortunately, we don't do the
second step, which is to have a scheduled period that allows fixes to go
in if necessary.  What we actually do is freeze the code in a test
build, and put that through an undetermined period after which it may be
reassessed.  If any problems are found after the build, the whole
process starts again.  What this results in is a project that very, very
rarely releases a GA release because issues are always found after the
test build.  If you don't believe me, look how often we put GA releases
out with Struts 1 and that was with a code base that rarely saw any
significant development/features.  Imagine how long it would take us to
get out a release on a very active project...

We did the second steps several times with Struts 1.2.x. As to Struts
2.0.x, so far, 2.0.2 has been our one and only beta. Every other build
has failed for reasons unrelated to quality.

* 2.0.0 (24/Sep) - Early test build against XWork snapshot.

* 2.0.1 (11/Oct) - Test build against XWork beta 1.

* 2.0.2 (20/Oct) - Voted beta, mainly due to XWork beta status (which
in turn was due to documentation issues, rather than code quality).

* 2.0.3 (19/Jan) - Stayed at test status due to Maven build issues.

* 2.0.4 (28/Jan) - Tabled at test build, mainly for
documentation/licensing issues.

* 2.0.5 (05/Feb) - Current build.

IMHO, what hurt us was that we had to roll 2.0.2 against a XWork beta,
and then we made aggressive changes to the codebases. Now that XWork
is GA, we had four months of very active development, and gobs of new
features that were not in the 2.0.2 release. If 2.0.2 had been able to
go GA, I'd be suggesting that we roll over to the 2.1.x series.

Of course, there are and will be issues with 2.0.5. There are always
issues. But, that doesn't mean we can't vote it GA after we've given
the rest of the community a bite at the apple. The question isn't
whether we reach an arbitrary standard of quality, but whether other
people are going to say "Works for me!"

During the Struts 1.1.x series, we did tend to freeze the codebase,
but I don't feel that we do that any more. I feel that 2.0.5 is
tagged, and we can move on to 2.0.6, full steam ahead, and/or 2.1.x if
someone is ready to work on the Dojo and Portlet plugins.